[Town Meeting] Correction to Substitute Motion e-mail

IvyEmporiums at aol.com IvyEmporiums at aol.com
Sun May 10 17:53:52 EDT 2009

Dear Colleagues.

Al Tosti has correctly informed me that comments by any members of the
Finance Committee do not an approval make. My inquiries were of a general
sort, the method and appropriateness etc.

I stand corrected, and it was my error. Had I been aware Article
35 was going to be submitted, I could have worked out alternative wording
with Roly and Pam, it would have been presented in that manner and, I
assume, passed along in the same manner as the current Article.

Since my substitute article was only to replenish a depleted town
account that was, in the spirit of the original Article 35, dedicated to
similar historical purposes (established by Town Meeting to promote the
association of the Town with Uncle Sam) it seemed awkward to ask the Fin Com be
convened on a matter which would have been routinely passed. The Board of
Selectmen has no reason to deny this partial replenishment of the account,
allowing the Committee enough to exist, while augmenting already existing funds
and accounts at the Library and the Historical Association. Rather than
return the entire amount of the remaining funds to the Town, I am hoping
only to divert a portion to replenish what the Town had withdrawn during the
years the Committee was without governance, leaving it currently penniless
(actually about $350.00 was left) and unable to embark on specific projects
highlighted in the survey.

But my tacit assumption that the Selectmen and the Fin Com would vote
to continue the Uncle Sam Committee was just that, an assumption, and not
an approval. My bad.

I hope that anyone else who has some suggestions or corrections will
also comment, as it is my purpose to ensure that the Uncle Sam Committee is
supported and restored, not to create controversy or misunderstanding due
to my errors.

e-regards,

Laurence O. McKinney
Seventh Precinct